Friday, June 11, 2010

The pain of today: Rela life poem for this day

My neck is sending pain to my whole body.
My back is following suit.
Problem is: Can't figure out where the pain is coming from.

The back sings pain,
So, too, the vertebrae column.
My head throbs,
And I can't turn left or right today.
I think life is tough today.

Tomorrow, June 12, 2010,
I will go for X-ray at Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital,
One of the major hospitals in Malawi,
That hasn't had Chloramphenicol for five months now.
Hope there is life there,
Hope there is unconditional joy.

Now hope lies in an institution,
That lies empty at times,
Empty of hope that is drugs,
Empty of gladness,
Because of the emptiness of the chests of hope,
The chests of drugs.

Today, I cannot sit for ten minutes,
Neither can I sleep for twenty minutes,
It is all pain inside,
Where can I hide.
The pains are visible outside,
Which tree can I climb,
When there is no tree of joy in Malawi.

I cannot bask in the sun,
Because the sun seems to motivate pain.
Even the shadows bring no recourse
The coldness in them,
Seems to attract the cold within,
And send pain to the brain.

But tomorrow I am going for X-ray,
Perhaps there is life that way,
When today you cannot sleep,
Or bask in the pain.
Pain is a guitar,
It has a chord
A choral chord.

A way,
That sends pain in the sky.

No comments: