Friday, April 17, 2020

Malawi's Former President Joyce Banda Turns 70!



HOW OLD ARE YOU NOW, MADAM? Joyce (left)
On Sunday 12th of April, I celebrated my 70th Birthday.  I want to praise God for the extraordinary journey it has been.  I am humbled by all the messages of love and good wishes from many Malawian friends and from many many friends from around the world.

GETTING STRONGER TOGETHER: The Banda family, Joyce (right) and hubby Richard (left)

I am grateful to Peoples Party family, MCP, UTM and DPP members that called or sent birthday messages. 

I am grateful to Chiwanja Cha Ayao, chiefs and civil society leaders that sent messages. 

I am grateful to NABW, HUNGER PROJECT, JOYCE BANDA FOUNDATION members for what we have been able to achieve together.

I am grateful to our larger families of Banda and Mtila Families.

I want to thank our nine children.  I will forever be truly grateful to God for the precious gift of their unconditional love.  It was wonderful to spend the evening together with all of you children, nieces and nephews and grandchildren from wherever you are around the world via Zoom or whatever they call it.  We in the village here could not believe what modern technology can do.  Thank you for making that possible.  I have been deeply moved to process in my mind your massages to me that evening.
TOGETHER, IN GOOD OR BAD TIMES: The Bandas-- Picture courtesy of Madam Joyce Banda

I am truly grateful to God for my husband, partner and best friend Richard Banda who has walked with me on this extraordinary journey.  38 years ago he promised me that he would be there for me through thick and thin.  That he would stand with me and by me in whatever I wanted to achieve.  That he would work hard to give our children the best education.  When he told me that, that many years ago, I did not know how far we were going to go together with Gods help.  It has been wonderful experience for as he held my hand in good and bad times.  I am grateful that with Gods help he provided leadership, love and mentorship to our family.  It  has been no mean achievement to end up with 8 graduates, five of them with masters degrees and a medical doctor.  As for me Malawians can count on their hands when he was not by my side.  Thank you for Ring No.6 and one more basket of flowers. 

Thank you.

No comments: