Friday, April 3, 2020

Malawi's health officials refused to test Covid-19 patients!

 ■Letter from Covid-19 patients' family bares it all


Dear brothers and sisters,
I would like share and provide some factual information to you all in regards to the COVID19 test result.

My parents recently visited india and made their safe return to Malawi on the 8th of March 2020. It was on the 11th of March that my father developed a few symptoms such as weakness/fatigue and loss of taste and smell. On the 14th of March 2020, my mother also developed the same symptoms except the loss of taste and smell. The COVID19 team were therefore contacted immediately.

The team visited the family home to assess the situation. I insisted and urged the team to do a test on my mother. Unfortunately, the team decided not to carry out any tests for COVID19 as the symptoms my parents had did not reflect the typical symptoms of COVID19 and did not meet their medical requirements.

My parents decided to be in self isolation for a period of 17 days since the symptoms first developed. After about a week of being in isolation we received the news that my aunt who travelled to Australia tested positive for COVID19. She was tested immediately upon her arrival in Australia. I requested a report from Australia to confirm the positive test result and with a lot of persuasion I urged the COVID19 team to test my mother. The test was eventually done after a few days on the 22nd of March 2020.

The results of the initial test conducted on the 22nd of March 2020 came out negative. The results were reported to us on the 24th of March 2020. At this point my father had fully recovered and my mother was feeling better, still not completely back to normal.

On the 31st of March 2020 the COVID19 team from CHISU contacted me requesting to conduct another test on my mother. They claimed that it was essential to do so as they would like to compare the results from the initial test conducted on the 22nd of March 2020. At this point my mother was in full recovery. Swab samples were taken, which tested positive for COVID19 on the 2nd of April 2020. Further samples were taken from family members including house keepers and their families whom reside in the compound of our family home. Three people tested positive for COVID19 - my mother, a family member and the house keepers wife who resides in the boys quarters. The rest tested negative.

Furthermore, I would like to clarify that the lady who has been tested positive is not the house maid, she is the wife of the house keeper who resides in the boys quarters in the compound of our family home and no contact has been made with her whatsoever.

Lastly, my parents have taken precautionary measures and have been in self isolation since they developed symptoms for a period of 17 days. My mother on the other hand is still in self isolation. With the grace of the almighty my family members including the house keepers appear to have no symptoms and are in good health. My parents have now fully recovered.

Kind Regards,
Faraaz Dodia

No comments: